Friday, March 20, 2009

Production of a Small Edition - Day 23: Almost there

The Smiley Oracle - 14/16

I finished binding the books in two days and started yesterday with making the slipcase(s). I experimented with a new construction method (which yielded 4 slipcases that I threw away immediately) but turned back to the initial construction in the end. Somehow this seems to happen frquently in my life: I start with a naive approach to something, then I discover an instruction, I start to learn the instruction and when I finally understand how it is meant to be done I realize that my approach was actually better suited to my problem.
To give you an idea of what I am talking about here are some rough sketches of the constructions. I am making my slipcases according to this sketch:
At the hatched parts I thin the cardboard by pushing off a part of it. This is essentially how I learned to make boxes.
The following is a sketch of a construction I found as a tutorial in one of my books:
No cardboard is thinned here. The main difference is that no longer an extension of the spine serves as top and bottom, but extensions of the sides. No taps are glued here. I found this harder to do and to yield less satisfying results.

I could talk for hours about what decisions went into the final design of the covers and the slipcase of the edition, what ideas I discarded, and when I turned back to initial ideas. But I don't want to bore you with details you might not want to know. I uploaded several pictures of the pre-edition and the first finished book to Flickr and talked there about their differences. Please have a look there. I will happily answer any questions you might have, either here or there.

The title on the slipcase is laser printed, cut out, and glued on, by the way. All books are signed and numbered. And now I'm off to construct 15 more slipcases.

The Smiley Oracle - 14/16

So, das erste Büchlein (das zufällig die Nummer 14 trägt) ist nun komplett fertig. Wie ihr sehen könnt, habe ich einige Design-Entscheidungen nochmal anders gefällt: Die Schuber haben nun doch keinen Ausschnitt zum Reingreifen, sie tragen den Titel und meinen Namen und die Cover der Büchlein bleiben blank.
Was ist der Stand der Dinge? Nun ja, ich habe die 16 Bücher an 2 Tagen gebunden, gestern habe ich dann Schuber gemacht, und zwar vor allem für den Mülleimer. Weil ich ja nun wirklich alles gut machen wollte, habe ich nochmal Anleitungen dafür gewälzt. Dann habe ich angefangen, nach der Anleitung, die ich hatte, Schuber zu machen. Das brauchte einiges an Fehlversuchen, bis ich es endlich raushatte - und dann beschlossen habe, dass mein erster Ansatz ohne Anleitung doch noch der beste war. Die beiden Konstruktionen habe ich oben als grobe Skizze mal verglichen. Die erste Skizze zeigt, wie ich die Schuber vorher und wieder mache, einfach eine geritzte Schachtel, die an einer Seite offen ist. Die zweite entspricht der Anleitung speziell für Schuber - insgesamt war das schwieriger, ordentlich zu machen, und hatte eine weniger stabile Konstruktion zur Folge.

Nach all dem Hin- und Her habe ich erst einen Schuber fertig. Von diesem Teil meiner Arbeit erhoffe ich mir eigentlich den größten Lernerfolg. Ich habe früher zwar schon ein paar Schachteln gemacht, aber noch nie solche. Ich hoffe, ich werde einigermaßen schnell fertig. Ich werde euch auf jeden Fall auf dem Laufenden halten.

Ich könnte jetzt noch stundenlang erzählen, wie ich welche Entscheidungen getroffen habe, aber das habe ich im Prinzip schon auf Flickr getan. Da habe ich die Bücher der Prä-Edition hochgeladen und alle Unterschiede aufgezählt. Wenn ihr also mehr wissen wollt, schaut doch da mal vorbei! Fragen beantworte ich gerne, entweder hier oder dort.
Dann werde ich mich wohl mal wieder an die Arbeit machen...

5 comments:

Liesan said...

I love these! Are you going to sell them?

Piami said...

Oh so cute!!! I'd love to buy one and have a look at it if you are selling them. :)

Büchertiger said...

I am going to sell them, yes. Good to hear that there are interested parties ;-)

I am still thinking about prices and modalities (prizing art is so hard!). I think I am going to make a staged price with the first books to go for less than the average I want to make and then the prices slowly rising.

Now that I know that people are interested here, I'll try to fix the details soon and set up a blog post the beginning of next week.

Lee Kottner said...

This make me very happy. They're just adorable. I'm glad to hear you're going to be selling them. I definitely want one. Watching the process has been interesting too. Thanks for all the information you've posted on the work.

Billie said...

I love these little books, they are so cute.

Billie