Monday, May 25, 2009

What I Don't Enter in the Current Book Swap

alien
I am currently participating in a book swap at Jackie's book arts forum. (I already mentioned that here.) Today I finished the book that I'll enter in the swap. So now I can show you pictures of the other books which I don't enter. Both of them were made as contributions. But with both I was not quite satisfied.

Above you see the book "alien". It is an ordinary Coptic bound book but has earplugs on the covers.
alien
I think it looks hilarious and totally alien. But it isn't a book - neither does it have text nor is it easy to add some because the earplugs rather hinder its functionality. I am still planning to make a box for it. But it is hard for me to stick to projects that are already partially discarded.
alien
The alien book was actually the second one I came up with. The first one was this:
Putzmittel
It is called "Putzmittel" which German and means cleaning agent. It is a photo album and contains photos of Putzmittel available here in supermarkets. I went through there and shot photos.
Putzmittel
There are several things I like about the book: I think it is good and sound as a book. I like this way of making a photo album and already plan to make more. The signatures consist just of 2 sheets of watercolor paper and additionally 4 strips of watercolor paper to make room for the photos to be entered.
I like the idea to use these rubber gloves as decorative element. This was meant to be the unconventional ingredient to this book. I was thinking about chicken feet leather and the like, and thought I could modify the idea a bit to make it work.
But then it wasn't so easy to cut up the glove right, and it doesn't really stick to the cover at the edges (that's because the material is not flat to start with and the tension this causes builts up at the edges). Also the pen didn't quite stick to the glove and is slightly smeared. And I started with too few photos, so I had to take more. Which I did. But now I would need to search through them, decide which ones to get printed on photo paper, add them. To Arrange everything into the chapters as initially inteded will be hard. - I'd just have to make it again, and I am lacking the energy and time to do so right now. And overmore - it is rather big and heavy; I decided too heavy to be send across the ocean.
Putzmittel
Now I just hope I took the right decision and Jackie likes the book I am sending her. I'll show it off once it has reached her - I don't want to spoil the surprise!

Thanks for reading and have a nice start into the new week!

No comments: