Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Production of a Small Edition - Day 20+21

Heute ist Tag 21, und so liegen die Seiten zwischen ihre Deckel gelegt auf meinem Schreibtisch und warten darauf, gebunden zu werden. Ich zeige euch noch ein paar Bilder vom Deckelbauen gestern:

Today is day 21 of this project and this is how the pages are now lying between their designated covers on my table waiting to be bound. I'll show you some pictures of yesterday's work:
So sieht der von hinten mit Papier bezogene Stoff nun aus. Den kann man nun getrost mit Leim bestreichen, ohne dass der durch den Stoff durchschlägt und vorne hässliche Flecken macht.

This is how the backed cloth looks like. The paper on the back protects the front from getting stained by applying glue. All three sorts of cloth that I chose for this project is pure cotton, by the way.

Auf dem Bild sieht man meinen Arbeitsplatz als ich gerade angefangen habe, für jeden der nun durchnumerierten, ungebundenen Buchblöcke das Bezugsmaterial auszuwählen. Die fertig zugeschnittenen Deckel liegen am linken Rand des Bildes. Von außen werden sie mit dem Stoff bezogen, von innen klebe ich ein gefaltetes Blatt dagegen, so dass man eine Art Vorsatz bekommt.

In the photo above you see my desk while choosing the covers for each book. Each unbound book block now has recieved a number (this does not correspond to the ordering in which they were printed). On the left hand side you see a stack of already cut cardboard for the covers. I checked them a last time, wrote the number of a book block on them, cut some covering cloth to shape and chose as endpapers some folded sheets of paper from those that I had in spare for more misprints. I'm going to glue a folded, not a single sheet to the inside covers.
Dann werde ich mich jetzt wohl mal ans Binden machen. Danke für's Lesen und bis demnächst!

Now I'm off to start binding. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The books are looking wonderful. I love the colours, they look very inviting.

Well done for all the hard work

Billie :)

Büchertiger said...

Thanks, Billie!

It is good to get some encouragement on the way! It already takes me longer than previously estimated and I am very much looking forward to the day when I am finally finished.
I hope I'll be finished on day 27. - We'll see...