Saturday, February 7, 2009

Recap of last week

This week my beloved grandmother died nearly ninety years old. I feel very close to her, and had a grievous week.
As much as I grieve for my grandmother, I am also glad for her that she finally died in peace. Since my grandfather died 2 years ago she refused to eat and drink periodically but seemed to forget that she was on a 'hunger strike' again and again. She faded away in that time, which gave me the feeling that I already lost her before her actual death. Unable to move in the slightest (even blinking exhausted her) in the last months, she was not giving us any reaction anymore, and it is not clear how much of her surroundings she still perceived. The doctors predicted her death for the weekend while my husband and I were still in Bristol, but when we came back from England she was still alive. I visited her the next day, and I am grateful that I could see her one last time, and say Goodbye properly.

When she was still alive and well she was a very interested, if not to say nosy person. During the war she proved a brave woman that knew when to seize the moment. She loved animals, had always had a dog, and before I was born also cats and other pets, for example a turtle. She was always busy. When I think of her, I mainly picture her working in the kitchen: She used to make a lot of jam, canned fruit and related stuff. They had a big garden with all sorts of trees, fruits and vegetables and all the harvest had to be taken care of.
She loved to eat and cook sweet stuff. One of her specialities was "Atomstaubstoffsuppe" and "Atomstaubstoffspeise" - this is what my grandfather called her chocolatepudding with beaten egg whites and vanilla soup with the beaten egg whites swimming in it like ice bergs. It roughly translates to 'atom materia soup' and 'atom materia food'.
I spent much time with my grandparents, as a kid and later on, and I had a close relationship to them. I feel strange and lost, knowing that I won't hear their voices again.

After the funeral yesterday, we visited her house again, looking through stuff, my sisters, my cousins and me choosing items that we would like as reminders. To me they were still her belongings and it felt horrible, like looting. My aunt and my mother will have to choose which things to give away and which to keep, so it was probably right to choose some things that might look worthless to them, but are valuable for me. - And so I inherited some beautiful things that I want to share here with you.

Meine Oma ist letzte Woche im Alter von fast 90 Jahren gestorben. Ich fühlte und fühle mich ihr sehr verbunden. So sehr mich ihr Tod schmerzt, so denke ich doch, dass er für sie eine Erlösung von einem zu letzt zur Last gewordenen Leben kam. Seit dem Tod meines Großvaters vor zwei Jahren, schien sie wenig Freude mehr am Leben zu haben. Sie ist immer schwächer geworden und Anfang dieser Woche entgültig eingeschlafen. Ich mag nicht nochmal alles das, was ich oben auf Englisch schon über sie geschrieben habe, nochmal aufschreiben. Irgendwie fällt es mir leichter, darüber in einer Fremdsprache zu schreiben. Die Bilder zeigen verschiedene Erinnerungsstücke, die ich von ihnen jetzt zu Hause habe: This is a box that belonged to my grandfather. He was a craftsman painter and an artist in his free time.The colors must be ages old and probably won't be good anymore. I was mainly interested in the box. The tubes still feel smooth, though. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Die Box oben stammt noch von meinem Opa. Er war gelernter Malermeister und war in seiner Freizeit auch künstlerisch tätig. Seine erste (Solo-) Ausstellung hatte er allerdings erst nach seinem Tod. Als Maler hatte er gelernt, Gemälde zu Rahmen, konnte also Glas einsetzen und das war nach dem Krieg sein erster Job. Er bekam das Glas, das er dafür brauchte zugeteilt, plus 10 % Verschnitt. "Und ich habe mich eben nicht verschnitten." Dadurch dass er also Glas übrig hatte, hat er sein erstes Geld verdient. Mir geht das oft durch den Kopf, während ich arbeite. Das Holzköfferchen enhält noch einige Ölfarben - wahrscheinlich sind die restlos verdorben, immerhin sind sie mindestens 3 Jahre alt, wahrscheinlich eher 10, und haben keine Kappe. Allerdings fühlen sich die Tuben noch weich an. Die Kanne unten erinnert mich an Abendbrotessen bei meinen Großeltern. Sieht sie nicht wunderbar nach 50er Jahren aus?
This is a coffee pot that reminds me strongly of my grandparents. As long as I can recall we used to drink mint or chamomile tea from it for dinner. - I don't think this is the lid that it had - I only realized that when I was at home. It is very typical of them both to find something else that could serve as a substitute for a broken lid. And I think the golden top of it goes very well with this fifties design.
This is my grandmother's bible. It is slightly broken: The marker ribbon is torn off, the headbands are gone and the gilding rubbed off at some parts.At the front cover, I can feel a sigil of sorts through the covering leather - I don't really understand what this is. Despite these signs of wear it is still a beautiful book. And it contains some notes in her handwriting on the first page about the verses with which she had her conformation and her wedding and which I also chose, for that reason among others, for my confirmation and my wedding.

Die Bibel habe ich ebenfalls geerbt. Abgesehen davon, dass es eine schöne Stuttgarter Bibel der Würtenberigschen Bibelanstalt ist, enthält sie vorne handschriftliche Notizen meiner Oma zu ihrem Konfirmations- und Trauspruch. Den gleichen Vers habe ich ebenfalls als meinen Konfirmations- und auch Trauspruch gewählt. Das Buch selbst ist in mittelmäßigem Zustand. Ich werde es vielleicht von einem professionellen Buchbinder überholen lassen - ich traue mich da nicht so ganz ran. Merkwürdig ist, dass unter dem Einbandleder im Vorderdeckel eine Art Sigel zu ertasten, nicht aber zu sehen ist. Weiß jemand was das ist und was das soll? Es wäre ja schon eine merkwürdige Art der Verzierung.

Ungeachtet der traurigen Ereignisse im persönlichen, war meine berufliche Woche erfolgreich. Wie schon berichtet, habe ich einen Etsy-Shop eingerichtet. Ich war ziemlich viel damit beschäftigt, dort Artikel einzustellen und zu verstehen, wie das alles funktioniert. Immerhin hat mein Laden 8 Herzchen bekommen, ich bin jetzt Mitglied bei BEST (bookbinding etsy street team) und einem europäischen Team, bei dem ich mich noch gar nicht richtig auskenne. Das Buch, das ich für meinen neuen Etsy-Shop gemacht habe, hat sich noch in der gleichen Nacht verkauft. - Das ist doch ein guter Start!

Other than my personal week, the business side of life went on well. As you know I decided to open an etsy-stop, and I spent much time this week to enter new books, and to understand how everything is done there. I am now a member of BEST (bookbinding etsy street team) and a european team which I don't understand yet. My shop has 8 hearts and the book I made for the start sold the same night. - Probably a good start.

And I learned to do this funny recycled purses - thanks to Dymphie. Here you can find the tutorial.
Dieses Tutorial für die lustigen recycleten Geldbörsen habe ich dank Dymphie gefunden. Und auf Billies Blog könnte ihr jetzt ein Video Tutorial für den Künstlerkartenhalter finden, von dem ich unten ein Bild gemacht habe. Die Karten auf dem Bild habe ich im letzten ATC-Swap auf dem book arts forum bekommen. Links ist die von Kiley, rechts die von Billie. Das war's von mir für diese Woche. Ich hoffe euch in der nächsten Woche wieder hier begrüßen zu können. Bis dann!

And you can learn to make this beautiful ATC card holder below if you follow this link to a video tutorial by Billie.

The cards you can see there are two that I recieved via the ATC swap last summer at the book arts forum. The one on the left was done by Kiley, the one on the right by Billie herself.
That's it from me for this week. Thanks for reading.

No comments: