Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Some new journals, paperwork, spring mood

I am much excited and elated: Spring finally started here, with warmer weather and a little bit of sun every now and then. (Winters are very dark and gray here.) Matching my spring mood I made some journals with distressed leather as outward covering material and a grass-green fleece lining. The one you can see above is for personal use. But I made two more (and I have already the paper torn and weighted down for a fourth variant) for my Etsy Store. This is another photo of my book:Schon die ganze Woche habe ich richtig gute Laune, die kann mir selbst der Berg von Papierkram nicht nehmen, den ich im Moment vor mir herschiebe, doch dazu später mehr. Gründe zum Freuen gibt's genug: Das Smiley Oracle ist endlich fertig und hat einige Freunde gefunden. Und ich habe endlich wieder Zeit, Tagbücher zu binden! Das, das ihr hier oben sehen könnt, ist für mich und meinen Eigengebrauch gedacht, ich fange nämlich morgen mit einem Niederländisch Sprachkurs an.
Das Buch, bzw. die verwendeten Materialien repräsentieren für mich so richtig Frühling: Das Leder erinnert mich an meine Lederjacke, die ich auch wirklich heute wieder zum ersten Mal anhatte, und das Vlies darunter ist so richtig Frühlingsgrün - und warm, wie man es eben im Frühling manchmal noch braucht. Weil es mir so Spaß gemacht hat, habe ich mit den gleichen Materialien gleich noch zwei weitere Bücher für meinen Etsy Laden gemacht, aber natürlich sind auch da keine zwei gleich. Ich habe auch schon Papier für ein viertes fertig macht. Mal schauen, ob ich das gleich auch noch verwurste.

Das nächste Buch ist eines derer, die ich verkaufen will:

The above picture shows one of the journals I am going to sell. My own book will be used for my language course which starts tomorrow. I am much excited about going "back to school" again and I'm so looking forward to learn some Dutch. Dymphie, writer of the blog Papieren Avonturen, already offered to endure some beginner's Dutch when we meet in May (we are going to participate in Nina Judin's Coptic Workshop (in English) - maybe you want to come, too?). Over all my joy about learning again, I have to keep in mind that I have a history of not learning languages too well and easily. Here is the list of language courses I took so far (in the ordering they come to my mind):
  • I started to learn English as my first foreign language at school. I usually had to struggle not to fail to pass the exams, somehow managed to get through, and by now I feel quite comfortable speaking English
  • I took several Spanish courses while at university and I'd say, I can communicate in Spanish. That means I have some difficulty keeping a conversation going, and I'm totally at a loss when too many people are speaking at once, but I can communicate my basic thoughts and needs.
  • I learned French in school, and thanks to many vacations spent in the Brittany I still understand a bit of the language - I can hardly say anything, though
  • I learned Latin and ancient Greek as dead languages, the first still in school the other at university, I was never were able to speak. A bit of vocabulary and unnecessary knowledge is all that is left from that experience - I enjoyed learning Greek a lot, though! It was the first time I took pleasure in learning a language and this got me hooked :-)
  • I took courses in Polish for a year, but d**n, this is a difficult language! Their grammar has 5(!) genders, not just 2 or three like decent languages ;-) I can hardly say anything in Polish; at least I can read and pronounce it - that makes it a lot easier to use language guides. I still wish I could speak Polish. I am much interested in Poland and Polish culture. But I gave up learning this language.
  • I tried completely unsuccessfully to learn modern Hebrew. That was almost a decade ago, and I remember some of the letters, and very few words (maybe 10 or 15), but never was I able to fluently read or speak freely.
  • I learned some Italian on a car ride to Italy as an audio course. I had a lot of fun learning to say: "I have nothing to declare", although at that point, the Schengen treaty had already been in action for several years. This course was astonishingly effective, and I was able to speak to people the usual tourist stuff, and book rooms even on the telephone. Probably because I already knew some Spanish. That also had its side effects: I knew what to say, as long as the conversation went along the situations in the audio course. But when people asked me something unexpected I switched to Spanish. When we were in Parma we wanted to stay in a small hotel, but the reception was closed, and I had to call the owner on his phone. After having everything fixed, the owner asked me (at the telephone) "Where are you now?" - in Italian of course. This was not part of the standard, room resercation dialogue. Without hesitation I answered: "Estamos aquí, directamente en frente." (Spanish, meaning: We are here, directly in front.) He, apparently and with good reason, was still thinking I was speaking Italian, was rather alarmed, and asked back: "In Fierence?!" - Florence was several hours away by car. From there on the conversation went from bad to worse. Me trying desperately to make myself understood, speaking faster and faster, resulting in him understanding less and less. He managed to interrupt me at some point and we agreed simply to meet in two hours, so that he could give me the keys, without him ever understanding that we were directly in front of his hotel.
I like to start to learn a new language, and I am much excited about starting with a new one tomorrow! - But I am also a bit scared about how it will go this time. I'm preparing by listening to Dutch folk songs (wat zullen we drinken? and kaap'ren varen) ;-)

With the Smiley Oracle being finished (and apparently well-liked), much to look forward to, and the nice beginning spring weather, the paperwork that's looming in front of me can't bother me much. Though it better should: I have to fill out my tax forms, and I have to prove that I am an artist (not a craftsperson) to the German officials (to the KSK to be correct). On this depends a lot for me at the moment. Essentially whether I earned any money at all since I started out in the book arts, or whether I'll have to give it up because I will starve myself this way. Ah, better not to think about this and rather show you some more pictures of the third spring journal I made. Thanks for reading!



Direkt hier obendrüber ist das zweite leere Buch, das ich gestern gemacht und bei Etsy eingestellt habe.
Im englischen Teil oben, habe ich gerade die Liste der Sprachkurse aufgezählt, die ich schonmal angefangen habe. Die Liste kann ganz eindrucksvoll klingen, aber eigentlich ist das eine Geschichte des Scheiterns: Es ist ja nicht so, als hätte ich diese Sprachen alle gelernt ;-) Aber die lange Liste zeigt, dass ich schon immer gerne mehr Sprachen sprechen können wollte. Ich finde es immer ein bisschen peinlich, wenn ich in einem unserer Nachbarländer bin, und die Landessprache nicht wenigstens ein bisschen sprechen kann. In Belgien und den Niederlanden werde ich demnächst öfter sein - ich hoffe, das wird mir als Motivation ausreichen, auch abends noch ein bisschen zu büffeln, wenn mein Liebster schon zur Freizeit übergegangen ist.

Eigentlich müsste ich statt lauter Tagebücher zu binden, Niederländisch zu lernen, oder neue Projekte zu planen, einiges an Papierkram erledigen: Meine Steuererklärung muss ich fertig machen und der KSK beweisen, dass ich als Künstlerin tätig bin (nicht "nur" als Kunsthandwerkerin). Wie beweist man sowas? Ich kann ihnen nachweisen, dass ich a) Kunstpreise gewonnen habe (nein, habe ich nicht), b) an Ausstellungen mit der Jury teilgenommen habe (da will ich mich gerade auf 2 bewerben; das muss ich mal wirklich machen; aber innerhalb der Zeitfrist, die sie mir gesetzt haben, werden ich wohl nirgends zugelassen sein) oder c) Gutachen einer Kommission einer Kunsthochschule beibringen. Auf Punkt c) werde ich mich also wohl stürzen müssen. Wie ich allerdings eine Kommission zusammen kriegen soll, weiß ich auch noch nicht.
Von der Zulassung zur KSK hängt für mich gerade eine Menge ab. KSK ist kurz für Künstlersozialkasse. Anders als der Name klingt, ist es nicht eigentlich eine Kasse. Aber wenn ich da zugelassen werde, dann werde ich von meiner Krankenkasse, der Rentenkasse und allen anderen Sozialkassen wie ein Arbeitnehmer behandelt, und die KSK bezahlt die Abgaben, die sonst der Arbeitgeber zahlen würde. Davon hängt für mich eine Menge ab. Eigentlich will die KSK alle Kreativen unterstützen (auch Schreiberlinge, Reporter, freie Journalisten usw.) und in den ersten Jahren der Berufstätigkeit verlangt sie auch noch keinen Berufserfolg. - Außer bei den Künstlern, die keinen Hochschulabschluss haben, und in den Verdacht geraten, eher Handwerk zu betreiben. Die müssen offenbar von Anfang an einen Erfolg nachweisen :-(
Aber davon will ich mir heute nicht die Laune verderben lassen. - Lieber mache ich mich an die 4. Variante der Leder-Vlies Bücher.
Danke für's Lesen und bis demnächst!

4 comments:

Dymphie said...

Love your new books~ you deserve the artist title so much. I hope that part turns out well very soon.
As far as all the languages you learned (great stories you tell!) my brains would explode, that's for sure :)

Caro said...

Die Bücher sehen ja wirklich super aus, gefallen mir sehr gut! Mit gefällt die braun-grün Kombination und die verspielte Form.
Du hast einen wirklich tollen Blog, sehr inspirierend!
LG Caro

Büchertiger said...

Danke, Caro, das höre ich gerne :-)

Spotted Sparrow said...

Viel Spaß beim Sprachkurs! I see and hear a lot of Dutch living in Aachen. Of course, the only Dutch I can read are the signs in Ikea. ;)