Thursday, April 23, 2009

"to touch and to cut"

Last Saturday I already mentioned it, since then I have been working like a bee. And now my second book that comes in an edition is finished! This time it is an edition of 20. I'll show you some more pictures before I continue babbling about my newest book:

Letzten Samstag habe ich schon erwähnt, dass ich ein einem neuen Projekt arbeite. Seitdem war ich wirklich fleißig und nun ist meine zweite Edition fertig. Dieses Büchlein hat eine Auflage von 20. Bevor ich weiter über mein neuestes Werk erzähle und mich über die Freuden, eine Edition zu machen ergehe, schaut euch doch noch ein paar Bilder an:Sieht ja ganz hübsch aus, höre ich euch sagen: "Aber warum dieser Titel: Berühren und Schneiden. Und Steckt hier überhaupt eine Aussage drin?" Nun ja, dieser Streifen Pergamentpapier, der sich so hübsch über das Cover erhebt, ist nicht an seinen Deckeln festgeklebt. Man kann ihn leicht herausziehen. Und wenn man ihn dann gegen das Licht hält...

You might say: "This looks nice, but ist there any traditional content of this book object? Does it make any sense beyond looking nice. And why this title?" Well, the strip of parchment paper that opens in this flower shape is not glued to the covers and can easily be removed. If you do this and hold it against a light source, you see... ...this. You can see that the lines are not randomly distributed, they are all tangent to i.e. they all touch a common circle. At the same time they all cut through a larger circle with the same center at a common angle. This larger circle can not be seen like the small (touched) one, because actually, they do this for all larger circles. You have to know these circles are there to know that the touching lines are also cutting.

Wenn man es gegen das Licht hält, erkennt man plötzlich, dass die Striche auf dem Papier gar nicht zufällig sind. Alle diese Linien sind Tangten an dem gleichen Kreis, das heißt sie berühren (to touch) diesen. Außerdem - das ist nun etwas Mathematik - schneiden (to cut) sie auch jeden größeren Kreis mit gleichem Mittelpunkt. Weil das also so viele Kreise sind, also anders als der eine Kreis an dem sie alle Tangente sind, nicht eindeutig definiert ist, sieht man die größeren Kreise nicht so, wie man den kleinen sieht. Man muss also wissen, dass die Geraden diese Eigenschaft haben, um zu sehen, dass alle Gerade die berühren, gleichzeitig auch schneiden.

Here can you download the artist statement that will be packed (printed on a nice paper) with each book. They are for sale through Etsy in US-Dollar. Contact me if you prefer to pay in Euro (I also prefer to be paid in Euro).

Initially I now wanted to talk about the pleasure of producing an edition. I am surprised by myself that I rather like it! It is so nice that now I can sell the books and still have them. (I always have a hard time parting with my works.) But now this blog entry has already grown so long, that I'll spare all my philosophical thoughts about that for a later entry.

And I just have to give you this piece of information before finishing this entry: I was featured with one of my books on the Etsy Front Page for the first time!


Thanks for reading!

Hier könnt ihr euch das so genannt artist statement herunterladen, wenn ihr möchtet. Es enthält nochmal Informationen zu dem Büchlein und über mich. Ich biete "to touch and to cut" über Etsy für 14$ an - meldet euch bei mir, wenn ihr lieber in Euro bezahlen möchtet - ich werde auch lieber in dieser Währung bezahlt.

Eigentlich wollte ich noch ein bisschen darüber erzählen, dass ich immer mehr Gefallen am Produzieren von Editionen finde. Es ist so schön, diese Büchlein weggeben zu können, und doch noch welche hier bei mir zu haben. Ich trenne mich immer nur sehr schwer von meinen Werken. Aber da der Blogeintrag nun doch schon wieder relativ lang geworden ist, belasse ich es erstmal dabei und verschiebe eine genauere Erörterung auf später.

Aber ich kann noch nicht ganz aufhören, zu schreiben, ohne diese schöne Nachricht losgeworden zu sein: Mit einem meiner Bücher war ich das erste Mal auf der Etsy-Titelseite!

Danke für's Lesen und noch eine schöne Rest-Woche.

Edit: Some more pictures / Hier sind noch ein paar mehr Bilder, die ich gerade noch gemacht hab':

4 comments:

Billie said...

What a beautiful book. I am bewildered by the maths but very impressed. Will show hubby who is better at maths.

Congratulations for being on the front page of Etsy.

Hugs

Billie :)

Büchertiger said...

Thank you Billie for you comment! I am glad that you like the looks of the books.

I am rather proud of them (and I think they are even more beautiful for real than in the pictures).

Therefore I was a little sad about receiving rather fe reactions. - Maybe the math-talk fought was too much? Maybe I made it sound more complicated as it is.

You got the main point, really: It's a beautiful small book, - and moreover it has some meaning.

Carol said...

Wow! This book is truly beautiful and so clever. I am not getting to my computer often but when I do I always look to see what you are doing, and I'm always impressed.

Büchertiger said...

Thank you Carol!
If you could see me now you'd see me grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Reading this gave me a good start into this new week :-)